J.P Nunes de Moraes
11 Nov 2021
11 Nov 2021
Brazilian Healthcare Card - Cartão SUS
Every Brazilian citizen and permanent resident have the right to free healthcare in the public hospitals and the SUS healthcare units, and to access this service one need a national healthcare card called Cartão SUS.
The healthcare card is not only ones ID to access free healthcare but is also allows every public hospital or SUS unit to access your medical history, like where one received what medical treatments, by which medical professional and which medication was subscribed to name a few.
With the national identification number on the card, it is possible to access all medical records and history on the ConecteSUS website.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY MEDICAL TREATMENT OR SUBSCRIPTIONS NOT PERFORMED BY A PUBLIC HOSPITAL OR SUS HEALTHCARE UNIT WILL NOT BE RECORDED IN THIS SYSTEM.
There are two ways on how to obtain the Cartão SUS; one is in person at any SUS healthcare unit and the other over the internet.
A. How to obtain the Cartão SUS in person
All what you need to get the Cartão SUS in person is a Brazilian identity card (RG) and the CPF. In some SUS healthcare units, they sometimes request some proof of residency, such as a water or electricity bill.
If one has all the documents, visit the closest SUS health unit and they will issue the card on the spot.
B. How to obtain the Cartão SUS over the internet
1. Visit the official SUS website at https://meudigisus.saude.gov.br/menu/home and click on the button that says “Entrar com Gov.br”.
2. Enter your CPF and click “Continue”. If you are not registered with Gov.br you must do so.
3. Enter your password
4. On the homepage click on the “Meus Cartoes” on the bottom right of the screen and then select the “Cartao do SUS” option.
5. When you see your healthcare card, click on the download button.
6. The card will be downloaded as a PDF in your download folder. Just print it and you are done.
Another way to have your Cartão SUS always with you, just download the SUS App on your phone.